Congratulations on making time for mental health in your community! The UCC Mental Health Network is here to assist you in developing programming so you too can participate in the growing practice of Mental Health Sundays.
UCC Mental Health Network 2020 Video Long Form
This year’s video from the United Church of Christ’s Mental Health Network. Join us in cultivating wise, inclusive, supportive, and engaged congregations.
What is Mental Health Sunday?
We see Mental Health Sunday as a way for your congregation to begin or to continue to provide education and support to your members around mental health challenges.
When is Mental Health Sunday?
The United Church of Christ Mental Health Network invites you to highlight mental health on the third Sunday in May or any Sunday that suits your schedule.
How Can We Do Mental Health Sunday?
We encourage you to:
- Plan a Sunday with the theme: “Widen the Welcome: UCC for Mental Health”
- Use the collection of worship resources in the Resource Guide for Mental Health Sunday. You will find some resources in the resource section below. Worship resources include sermon ideas as well as complete sermons, a litany, unison prayers and more.
- Explore the Congregational Toolkits for teaching your congregation about mental illnesses
- Send us stories and/or questions (use the form below or email email@example.com).
- Pay particular attention to future UCC MHN emails regarding mental health concerns
Feel free to use the resources as they are or adapt them to meet the specific needs of your congregation. You can also develop your own resources, and if you do, we encourage you to share them with us so we can make them available to other congregations.
What is Mental Health Sunday like?
Read a story about the Mental Health Sunday celebrations held by UCC congregations on October 20, 2013.
What Resources Exist for Mental Health Sunday?
Worship with the Council of Conference Ministers: Maybe take a mental health break by using the worship service they have provided. Even clergy need a break during these unknown times.
For putting together a service with your congregation, download and print these files or edit/format them to meet your needs.
- Liturgy for Mental Health Sunday Year A
- Liturgy for Mental Health Sunday Year B
- Liturgy for Mental Health Sunday Year C
- Christian Church Mental Health Awareness Sunday Video for Congregations
- Sermon idea from an African American perspective
- Mental Health and the Hispanic Community resource
- Litany for Mental Health Sunday from a minority perspective
- ‘When Mental Illness Hits You” sermon
- “A New Thing” sermon
- ‘Touch My Wounds” sermon
- Worship on the Theme of Mental Health from the Church of England
- Faith – Mental Health Guide from the American Psychiatry Association Foundation
- Checklist for Churches: Becoming a Welcoming, Inclusive, Supportive and Engaged (WISE) Congregation for Mental Health
- Tips for Getting Ready for Mental Health Sunday
- Sermon on The Stigma of Mental Illness
- More Resources for Your Mental Health Sunday Services
- Call to worship and prayer
- Litany for Mental Health Sunday, 5.5″ x 8.5″
- Bulletin insert (front), 5.5″ x 8.5″
- Bulletin insert (back), 5.5″ x 8.5″
- Widen the Welcome logo (CMYK, 300 dpi) for use on printed material
- Sample bookmark created by Broadmoor UCC Church in Colorado Springs
- Exegesis: Lamentations 5:19 – 22
The UCC Mental Health Network intends to provide on-going resources and suggestions. We would gladly welcome any of your questions as well as stories of what you have done regarding a focus on mental health in your congregation. Share these by emailing Alan Johnson, chair of the UCC Mental Health Network, firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about becoming WISE or the process of becoming WISE, please contact email@example.com.