the UCC Mental Health Network Blog
Welcome to the United Church of Christ Mental Health Network (UCC MHN) blog, The Journey. Our weekly posts will explore mental health and addiction through the lens of our Christian faith. We will write about how our personal experiences affect our lives and how our spirituality supports our journey. Everyone who is living with a mental health or addiction disorder, or has a loved one who is affected by a mental health challenge or addiction, is on a journey. Together we can connect with each other and share some ways to travel the path of hope and wholeness.
View Posts by Category
- If Only By Rev. Dr. Tim Ahrens“When Mary met Jesus, she looked at him, and then fell down at his feet. “If only you had been here, Lord,” she said, “my brother would never have died.” John 11:32, J.B. Phillips New Testament translation Mom was beside herself. Her daughter was found dead in her apartment. She had died by suicide. Mom was […]
- A Voice Other Than Jesus by David Finnegan-HoseyThe lectionary Gospel text for this coming Sunday is one in a series of stories in Mark’s gospel in which the disciples jockey for position while Jesus tries to get them to see that they are missing the point. If we were reading or hearing the whole gospel in one sitting, the repeated refrain would […]
- Autumn 2021 by Bob GriggsI’m writing this on the back porch of our home in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, a near suburb of Minneapolis. My laptop is on a little table in front of a window, so I have a full view of our backyard and of our neighbors’ behind us. Especially this time of year, I look forward […]
- Straying from the Goal by Hannah Campbell GustafsonIt is always my goal to use a lectionary text to inspire my blog posts. But today, I’m going to stray from that. My “excuse” or reasoning is that my brain is consumed these days, and my exhaustion is real as well. My second daughter, Ruth, was born 9 weeks ago, and is a delightful […]
- Tik Tok U Don’t Stop by Kirk MooreThat’s the phrase Rosie O’Donnell often uses to open or close the short videos she posts on the social media site TikTok. WIth some of its inspiration from the short video posting service Vine from a decade ago, TikTok now has more than 689 million users worldwide and is growing quickly. It’s largest user base […]