the UCC Mental Health Network Blog
Welcome to the United Church of Christ Mental Health Network (UCC MHN) blog, The Journey. Our weekly posts will explore mental health and addiction through the lens of our Christian faith. We will write about how our personal experiences affect our lives and how our spirituality supports our journey. Everyone who is living with a mental health or addiction disorder, or has a loved one who is affected by a mental health challenge or addiction, is on a journey. Together we can connect with each other and share some ways to travel the path of hope and wholeness.
View Posts by Category
- Mental Illness and Church is Nothing New by Megan SnellMental health is not a single state of being or a condition of mind or brain. It is a concept, a journey, and one that is perhaps best traveled with others who have traversed the roads before us. Author of a text on mental health and illness in the church more than 60 years ago, […]
- Perfect Storm by Lisa LeSueurIt is late Sunday afternoon. The sky is still an angry gray with a gentle drizzle of rain, more of a mist really, still falling on the grass. There is a slight rumble of thunder in the distance, but hardly a leaf is moving in the stillness left behind by what turned out to be […]
- This, Too, Is Mental Health Advocacy by David Finnegan-HoseyBy some accounts, the three largest mental health institutions in the United States are prisons. We can change this. And this, too, is mental health advocacy. Somewhere between one third to one half of all people who are killed by police in the United States have a mental illness and/or other form of disability. We […]
- Two Miles a Day by Bob GriggsMy photo with this blog entry is pretty bad. It’s the back of a strip mall about a mile from my home. It’s part of a two mile walking route I followed every day last week. I chose to walk there because it’s isolated, so I can practice social distancing while getting my walk in. […]
- Small Joys by Hannah Campbell GustafsonMy spouse and our daughter and pup and I are in the woods at a family cabin for the weekend. This, our little building in the woods with no electricity or plumbing, this is my favorite place in the world. We decided to spend our daughter’s second birthday here. We’re eating lots of watermelon and […]