the UCC Mental Health Network Blog
Welcome to the United Church of Christ Mental Health Network (UCC MHN) blog, The Journey. Our weekly posts will explore mental health and addiction through the lens of our Christian faith. We will write about how our personal experiences affect our lives and how our spirituality supports our journey. Everyone who is living with a mental health or addiction disorder, or has a loved one who is affected by a mental health challenge or addiction, is on a journey. Together we can connect with each other and share some ways to travel the path of hope and wholeness.
View Posts by Category
- Mental Health Ministry: Starting With Worship by Rev. Dr. Megan Osborn SnellWhen liturgy and worship become the work of the people, space for the sacred stories of those living with mental health conditions begin to have space in the collective experience. Isolation can break down and connection can be formed as people begin to understand the deep humanity of their pew neighbor. Remember that worship is […]
- What about the children? by Rev Lisa LeSueurAs a parent of a middle school student who has been learning remotely this year, I am relieved that this school year is almost behind us. The challenges that kids have faced this year are unprecedented, and while some adjusted and thrived under the new circumstances, others fell by the wayside, giving up on class […]
- Koyaanisqatsi: A Life Out of Balance by Karl ShallowhornIn 1983, film director Godfrey Reggio, released the avant-garde art film, Koyaanisqatsi. I was immediately drawn to it as the musical score was written by the great American classical composer, Philip Glass. The movie is a montage of images and scenes with no spoken word or characters. It is the first in the trilogy of […]
- The One Day Ahead God of Us All by Rev. Dr. Tim AhrensI will admit that the past 14 months have been the toughest months of my ministry and marriage. I am hanging on but most days, it has felt like I am barely hanging on. I was ordained in June and married in November, 1985. I made vows to Jesus and Susan within five months […]
- Not Alone? by David Finnegan-HoseyWhen Jesus had said this, as they were watching, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven, suddenly two men in white robes stood by them. They said, ‘People of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? […]